Saturday, January 17, 2009

The Poor Man's Bose

Bose makes a great set of noise-canceling headphones. If you have $200 to spend, I recommend buying one for plane trips. They do a great job canceling out the low-end noise, so you can hear movies and music better in flight. However, if you're monitarily challenged, try the poor man's noise canceling headphones. They work fairly well (about the same as a low-end noise canceling headphone, like JVC) and are cheap and easy: a pair of regular headphones (not the earbud types) combined with earplugs.

I always travel with earplugs, and I wear them on planes. It really cuts out the engine noise of the plane, but you can still hear voices (which is not really what I am after. I wish I could cut out that chatty lady who invariably sits behind me with her best girlfriend from work on their way to an exciting girls weekend where they have a reservation at a really exciting hotel and they are in the process of making extremely exciting plans for their girls nights out.) Anyway, with earplugs in, nobody talks to me on the plane and it is a little quieter. And combined with regular earphones, it makes a good poor man's Bose.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes, but with ear phones how can you hear the pilot and flight attendant's instructions when the flight is in jeopardy? You need to know how to panic and when!

Anonymous said...

I travel a lot too and got the ear-bud noice cancelling headphones that are kind of a cross between headphones and earplugs. http://www.amazon.com/Philips-SHE9500-Ultra-Sound-Headphones/dp/B000G35RYK/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1236947866&sr=1-11
They work great and do cancel out the conversations around me (volume helps). But I still hear the flight attendant's announcements.

Matt

Elizabeth Whitewolf said...

I am going to try those earbud/phones. Thanks for the tip!